Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First Virginia Update - Its a doozy!

Okay, so here I am "living" in Ghent. A Small but lively community in Southern Virginia. My friends, family, and girlfriend are all at least 12 hours away. Big things are happening back home: My baby is all but set with her dissertation, gearing up for her defense, a fantastic new job, and big move to a fresh new place. The family is consolidating in A2 as Christin seals the deal with a new job in Milan, inevitably leaving her disliked Redford pad in the wake. Grandpa Louis is in town from AZ, bringing with him a contingent of Indiana folk, and spurring quaint little family get-togethers like barbecues and golf outings. And the ninos... well every day is a milestone with them. The boys in Lansing are blossoming out with new friends, girlfriends, and nights on the town. And the Kalamazoo contingent is continuing forward into the next phase of their lives; housebuilding, rising in their careers, and deepening their relationships with each passing day.

Its odd. I think I almost feel closer to them from far away. Maybe because I depend so heavily on news from them to make me feel connected and supported. They've been great, too! I get letters, phonecalls, and constant check-ins on text messengers. Some may tease, but I am SO grateful for an opportunity to game with the guys once a week. Thank god we've found a great community-built program that lets us game online together across the gap.

I've got to admit I feel like a nobody out here. I find myself sitting in bars and coffee shops just waiting for someone to strike up a conversation with me. As if THAT ever happens. Don't get me wrong, people super friendly out here. Absolutely. I get a 'hello' from anybody I cross paths with. I even got a 'goodbye' from some random lady leaving her shift at a coffee shop I was squating at today. You know, it seems to me its not that extraordinary for someone to give a casual 'hey' passing by but something seems much more fantastic about receiving a goodbye.

Well anyway, it may be boring and a bit lonely but things remain hopeful as well. I've started recognizing faces around town and see the recognition on their faces as well. Better yet, I've found an ally not far away. She lived in London the same time I did and now lives about 40 minutes away, up near Williamsburg. Through her, I've met a few of her coworkers; one of which lives just a few blocks away from me. Seems like a great gal; active, friendly, knowledgable about the area. We are heading out to a film festival tomorrow and a can't freaking wait.

The main thing I need right now is a job. Something I can put myself into and most likely form some more relationships. Its never been easy for me to find jobs (as if its easy for anyone to find a job). I just feel so lost in the search, and inadequate. And my patience for the process is SUCH a liability. It actually kindof liberated me finding out that a lot of my teaching opportunities have dried up for the year. I don't feel bad about broadening my search to other things for now. Its my goal, but its on hold for a bit. Wish me luck. I have a few opportunities stewing at the moment, some better than others.

Well obviously I have a lot to say. I havent blogged regularly and I suppose I will have to catch you all up with more posts. But for the sake of brevity (yeah right) Im going to cut this post short (heh, "short").

2 comments: