So it comes to the conclusion of another successful week in Ghent. I just walked down to the postbox (conveniently just around the corner) and sent off two more applications.
BTW, although one of those applications was for a clerical job in Hampton Schools, I am NOT looking forward to getting that job (...here's hoping they don't read this). The reason Im not looking forward to getting the job is because every time I want to apply for a job I have to re-submit ALL of the materials. Obviously, except for the letter of interest and the line that says "Position applying for:", these papers are all completely identical. Plus, Im pretty sure of all the "Seven Cities" school districts, theirs is the only application that is not available to be submitted online. To me, that sounds like a hell of a system to work in. The very definition of inefficient and outdated. Who wins in that kind of system? It may be more work in the short term to develop an online application process, or at the very least to create files for applicants, but I would much rather do that then re-process the same paperwork for each job posting. Ive seen their filing room. They do not need any more papers in there. Its packed! Okay, anyway...
Ive found a cool venue within walking distance of my apartment. Its called The Boot and Wednesday I saw couple bands I enjoyed. The Never, Deleted Scenes, and Seamonster. Seamonster seemed a lot like a one man The Decemberists, with just as much poetic talent, just not as broad a vocabulary (and who can compete with The Decemberists on vocabulary anyway?), The Deleted Scenes had a good sense of humor, fun sing-a-long-able tunes. And The Never impressed me really well. Three guys who look completely different but have really similar (great) singing voices. They sing three-part harmony most of the time, and rock out. Good balance of fun and humor with intelligence and sentimentality. I got the accoustic version of The Never because their van apparently broke down in Arkansas with their drum kit and amplifiers. Im not sure I minded. They did a great set!
And heres a coincidence: Halfway through the set one of the guys from The Never starts talking about he spilled Hooka coals on some girls couch in where? Kalamazoo. Thats right. Hes telling stories of Kalamazoo to the guy who just moved from there two weeks ago. Pretty sweet, eh? I thought so. Of course, I stuck around afterwards to tell him I thought so and found myself privy to a conversation regarding alternative fuel sources (since The Never's van runs off of vegitable oil). Also, I learned that algea can be harvested as a source of energy. It grows hella fast, especially with the addition of fish. Imagine pools of farmed fish combined with farmed algae scooped off at regular intervals as an energy source. I was interested. Never would have expected my post jam-out experience to head in that direction, but hey, people surprise you.
Last I'd like to report I got to see the results of a recent 48 Hour Film Project out in Virginia Beach. It was a lot of fun. It's surprising what people can do in 48 hours! It was interesting to see where peoples talents lied as well. One film was by FAR the best visually, but the story was a bit confusing and struggled to get to a point. Some had great diologue, others had clever story-lines with complex plot twists I couldnt imagine thinking of in 48 hours. My favorite was a cute office musical about an unlikely romance, complete with at least 3 musical numbers. plus dialogue. Can you imagine coming up with three original songs and THEN filming a 7 minute film in 48 hours? I was impressed. My new friend and City Guide Megan took me, and I would like to send a special thanks to her. Shes done a lot to help me get acquainted with this new city of mine.
Alright. Im going out to The Boot again tonight to see another band - someone associated with The Neutral Milk Hotel, so that sounds promising. Ill let you know how they do.
Until Next!
Feeling restless.
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment