Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Something to get off my chest...

As a funny man once said, "I don't want to go on a rant here," but there's a few people who have managed to really piss me off so I'm going to get something off my chest.

When I tell you that I'm looking for a teaching job, its because I got my degree in education. I spent 6 years in college over 7 years time. I floundered, I failed, I fought, and found myself determined to get this degree. Its my vocation. My goal, my passion, my interest. So the proper response is NOT to widen your eyes, drop your jaw and say 'Here? In Virginia? No! You'll go through hell. You should look into something else. You'll hate it. Blah, blah, blah.' Screw you! Teaching is a noble profession. People don't go into education because they want money. People don't go into education because its an easy job. People don't go into education because there is no other work available. MOST people dont go into education saying I'm only going to teach the brightest, richest, most privelaged white kids at the nicest schools. So shut the hell up! YES, I said I want to be a teacher. YES, I know what that means. Do you? Obviously not. So I repeat, shut the hell up.

'Nuff said. Word.

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable. How could anyone ever ask you that? That's like telling Michael Jordan he should have been a stockbroker.

    Maybe it's the same impulse that drives them to say "Oh sure, Ghent's great now that you're young, but when you want to have kids you'll have to move up here to the suburbs and buy a bigger house". Can you imagine living your entire life with so little imagination? How horrifying.

    ReplyDelete